Bringing Katya Home Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

First of Summer Sewing Projects Completed

This is my first completed sewing project for the summer. You might remember that I introduced this little one way back at the end of April. She is the youngest of twelve children and the first daughter in the nearly fifteen years. So believe me when I say that she has made quite a stir in that family. You can see why I had to make her something VERY feminine. But, at this busy end-of-the-schoolyear-time, my progress on it was very sloooooooooow. I was getting fearful that if I didn't soon complete it, it would end up being too small for her. Babies seem to grow at an alarming rate. However, when I gave it to her on Saturday, it was still too big for her. I am so thankful.
Okay, now on to the outfit.

The front of the dress and headband.

The back of the dress. The back is shirred with elastic to give a little "grow room."


The Sunbonnet Sue on the apron is hand appliqued and embroderied.



I usually make the headband from the same material as the dress and add the large blossom, but I found this wonderfully soft, wide headband and thought it would be just perfect. I added the flower and was very pleased with the result. I have a feeling I'll be going this route again.


A pair of ruffled pants add versatility to the outfit. In addition to the elastic waistband, I add a fabric drawstring for adjusting the waist size.

Front view of the complete outfit.


Back view of complete outfit.

Please forgive me if you saw more views of this outfit than any one person would care to see. However, my memory is not what it once was (not that it was ever REALLY that good). So I've realized that if I post several angles of a project here on my blog, I can use it as a reference if I decide to make a similar outfit in the future. This is especially helpful since I make so many changes to the original pattern.


Next on the sewing docket: An overdue outfit for a little boy baby. (I suppose that instead of sitting here writing about it .... I'd better get sewing :-)

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

One can never see to many views of a sewing project. At least thats what I think :0)

Darling outfit, and where do you find headbands like that?

momawake said...

This is adorable! I'm glad you had so many pictures. I especially like the how the black offsets the outfit perfectly.

Mom2fur said...

OMG, it's sooooo sweet! I bet the little girl will look adorable in it, just like the princess of the family. All those kids and one girl, wow!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'd love to visit you, but I think I'll concentrate on my own decluttering, before I lose steam, LOL!

DEBBIE said...

I truly enjoyed seing every single picture.
The outfit details are so pretty and wonderfully done.
You have an amazing skill.

DEBBIE MOSS

Related Posts with Thumbnails