Bringing Katya Home Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

A Wonderful Surprise

I'm so excited that I just had to share this pic with you all. Orangeblossom has tried sewing a few projects over the years, but it just never seemed to be something she enjoyed. She had a ton of other interests, but needlework just didn't seem to be one of them.

At the beginning of school this year, she wanted me to sew a shirt like this for her. I told her it was a simple pattern, and I would be glad to help her with it -- but I wasn't going to make the whole thing. It's not that I think that she should love sewing as much as I do, but I do think that every girl should know a few sewing basics like sewing on a button, or hemming something, or (even for economical reasons) to be able to sew a very simple top if needed.

She agreed, and so at the end of August we cut it out and I reviewed a few things she should know about. She got as far as some of the casings, and then her interest in the project waned. I thought, "Well, that's the end of that."

Lately, she has been talking more and more about being a clothing designer. I offhandedly mentioned that she really ought to know about garment construction to go into that field.

Saturday, she spent most of the day in her bedroom, which seemed a little odd to me.


Imagine my surprise when she came down wearing this peasant top. She had decided she wanted to finish it, studied the instructions, and voila. I think she really did a great job on it. And it is probably one of the nicest surprises I have had. I was so happy!!!


In case anyone else is interested, this is the pattern that she used.
Anyway, a very pleased and proud mama had to show you what she'd done. Orangeblossom is one of those kids that once she decides on something, she goes at it full force.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

it looks great on her - she did a great job :)

momawake said...

Woohoo! It's very becoming. It's also nice to accomplish something that's a little difficult. :)

Rebecca said...

good for her!! I understand how you would be excited---and a finished project that is so nice (that you made yourself!) is just the motivation to keep 'em coming!

Full of Grace said...

Very Pretty Blouse!!! She did a great job and from what I hear has a great teacher as well :)

Mom2fur said...

She did an amazing job! I honestly find peasant tops a little difficult because you have to get the gathers around the neck 'just so' to make it look nice, and your daughter aced it!
I hope she makes many more beautiful things like this!
PS--thanks for visiting me. Glad you liked my little notepad!

Related Posts with Thumbnails