Bringing Katya Home Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Diabetes and Drink Stick Wallets


You may remember these from this post at the beginning of the month.

I left you hanging as to what I was going to do with them. "Not to my etsy shop" was all I told you.


Well, today is the day all you curious types get your answer. It all began with a short email from Misty, mother to sweet Allison, a cute little girl with blonde hair and Type I Diabetes. Misty maintains a blog where she gives support and information and encouragement to other moms of children with Type I Diabetes.

Bill, my husband was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes a few years back. At that time, we had to make some changes in our life to accomodate his special needs, nothing too major -- just a few adjustments here and there. One of the adjustments was handled by coming up with the idea of a Drink Stick Wallet. His was black plaid. It was a nice neat way to carry sugar-free drink sticks in his shirt pocket. It worked out great for him. It was frugal and it was discrete; it easily could have been mistaken for a business card holder carried in his shirt pocket.

After Misty's email, I began to read Misty's blog. I became acutely aware of how many "adjustments" have to be made when your child has diabetes. There are so many things that must always be close at hand in order to minister to that child.

Take a look here to see just what became of those drinkstick wallets

3 comments:

momawake said...

Great idea! You're so sweet.

Full of Grace said...

This is a great idea! I use drink sticks every day and there have been times where I've thought it would be great to have a few for my purse so I didn't have to drink straight water (I love the green tea and peach and drink them ALL the time!) They are so pretty to boot!

Sue Bridges said...

What a wonderful idea. I am sure you are very proud on what you have achieved. I have a firend at work who has type 1 diabetes. I am aware that when I make my cakes and take them into work she is not able to have any and she gives me immense support in what I am doing. I am going to try and look for some suitable recipes this week as we are having a fund raising event for breast cancer awareness and I would love her to be able to sample some of my creations. Thank you for dropping by Nanci, I need to make more of an effor to visit my friends. Sue x

Related Posts with Thumbnails