Bringing Katya Home Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The First Fruits of Harvest

Under normal circumstances a basket full of Jalapeno peppers would not excite me!
It's not that I don't like things to have a little nip, I do.
I just don't like my food to be so spicy that it overwhelms the flavor.
In past years when my dear husband (dh) planted Jalapenos in the garden,
they wer HIS baby.
I left them it to him
to plant them,
pick them, and
preserve them.
Ahh! But this year was different.
This year I have anxiously awaited their harvest since the time they were planted in June.
My dd1 and I were planning to make a most wonderul little delicacy...
JALAPENO JELLY
Monday, my ds picked the first basket full
and my dd1, clad in her best latex gloves went right to work.
She prepared it all and together we canned it.

This was the final result. Three pints of this luscious little spread.
And we are not so selfish that we would not share it with you.

3/4 pound jalapeno peppers (unseeded, with stems)
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin
Green food coloring, optional
Wash peppers, drain. Remove stems and seeds.
Puree peppers and 1 cup vinegar in a food processor or blender.
Combine puree, 1 cup vinegar and sugar in large saucepot.
Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in liquid pectin.
Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, again, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Skim foam if necessary.
Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Ladle hot jelly into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath canner.

Now you may be saying, "Gee, I don't know... Jelly made of Jalapenos. It just doesn't sound like those two words should be used together"
I understand completely! Those were my sentiments exactly before tasting it.
I first tasted this love of mine when I was at the home of a dear friend who lived nearby.
She was giving a Baby Celebration for another dear friend.
She served it on crackers topped with a little cream cheese and the jelly.
A few weeks later she moved away when her husband took a new position further north of here. I dearly miss her, but I just got the good news that
she is at last able to move into her new home there.
So as I enjoy this little snack, I raise it in salute to you , Rebecca.
Here's to good friends, good memories, and anticipated future visits to your new home.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails