Bringing Katya Home Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bed and Breakfast







Two weekends ago, we had very special house guests. I wanted to serve decent meals, but did not want meal preparation to take away from the precious little time I would have to enjoy this dear family. I scoured the Internet for make-ahead meals that could be frozen and prepared them before my guests arrived on Thursday night. I did the same with deserts.

Friday & Saturday morning breakfasts were easy to plan because I knew I could rise before everyone else and prepare breakfast. In addition, we would have plenty of time to sit and eat breakfast at our leisure. Sunday morning breakfast was a little more thought provoking, because there would not be as much time to prepare and eat it. People would need to get ready for church. It would also be difficult to keep something warm since we would be coming to the table at different times. Hmm…what to serve? I preferred not to just plunk a bowl of cold cereal down in front of them, but what would be filling and still not have to be kept warm?

Suddenly, I thought of a recipe I had not made in nearly a decade -- a wonderfully delicious recipe for breakfast muffins. The batter can be made up ahead of time and keeps in the refrigerator for up to six weeks. Because the batter could be made up ahead of time, all I had to do was pop the muffins in the oven on Sunday morning -- talk about convenient.

Now you might be thinking that a muffin does not seem very filling or nutritious, but these are! They are made with wheat germ, whole-wheat flour, bran, and you can add just about any nut or fruit you desire. In addition to the muffins, I served flavored yogurt, fruit, and some pumpkin bread and apple crisp that Rebecca had made and brought with her. I felt satisfied that I had provided a filling (yet extremely easy) breakfast for our friends and that everyone had enjoyed it.

Now that is only the beginning, these muffins have also solved another problem that has been plaguing me for some time (especially during the school year when I need my children to have a QUICK breakfast before we start the school day.) My son likes cereal, hot or cold alike. (No problem there) My daughters are another story – neither of them particularly likes cereal. So they either try to slip away without eating breakfast at all or nibble at something that leaves them hungry by mid-morning. The good news is they really like these muffins.

Since making them for our friends, I have been baking a half-dozen or so of these muffins (from the pre-mixed batter stored in the refrigerator) each evening before I go to bed. Voilá – fresh muffins in the morning. Breakfast problem solved!!!!

If you would like to try them for yourself, you can go here for the recipe.

1 comment:

Mom2fur said...

You are so lucky to have had Rebecca and family to visit! I bet they are as nice in real life as they are on the blog.
And cute, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails