Bringing Katya Home Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Hooray!!! Sew Crafty Friday is Back

Here's what I've been working on lately -- A Depression Era ensemble for an 18" doll. I crocheted a cloche and envelope purse that were so popular at that time. In the 1930's the lines of dresses became much more simple. The expense of the added material needed for gathered skirts, or lace and other such embellishments made them out of reach for most people. Yet, some very lovely styles were created in those hard days.

This ensemble is for sale in my Etsy Shop


I love using the reproduction prints that are being manufactured now. I repeated the fabric of the bodice in the hatband, and the jacket binding repeats the skirt fabric. Since I love textures, the waffle textured fabric of the jacket suited me just fine.









So, that is my latest project. . . Would you like to see some projects that others have been working on? Stop over and visit Shereen's Sew Crafty Friday and join in the fun.








8 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh my goodness, I love it Nanci!

Nanci said...

Thanks, Bonnie.

Rebecca said...

how EVER did you get that clutch to stay in her hand?!?

I like sew crafty Friday and with my weekly crafting projects leading up until spring....I might just have to participate too!

Not the Waltons said...

So very precious! It seems you have a talent for creating these outfits! Very nice!

momawake said...

Isn't she pretty. Great job!

Nanci said...

Rebecca,

Boy, is that a long story. Since you have drummed into my head the "NO FLASH!!!" rule, I take the pictures outside in natural light. Of course, we have been having the same type of weather as you -- EXTREMELY COLD & SNOWY.

I had crocheted a wrist strap on the purse, but in order to get the light right and to see the front closure on the purse, I had to situate the purse in the opposite hand and was therefore, unable to use the strap.

Sooooo, I scotch taped the purse to the palm of her hand. However, even the slightest breeze would knock it out of her hand. (As you know, we have a LOT of breezes coming down off the ridge.) I lost track of the number of shots I had to delete because the purse was suspended IN MID-AIR!! Finally, a straight pin added to the formula did the trick.

(SHORT VERSION: I taped it to her hand and straight pinned it to her shirt.)

Believe me, by the time I finished my fingers were frozen (not to mention my patooty. LOL

Mom2fur said...

So cute! Thanks for visiting me and the heads up on SCF! I'm so glad it's back again!

Full of Grace said...

Hey Nanci,
You are amazing, just so ya know :)

I wish I were a seamstress..

If you would like to see my Foto Friday posts (or read in general) please send me your email address to godscanvasatyahoodotcom. I had to change my settings to invited readers only because of a very negative person. Thanks :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails