Bringing Katya Home Blog

Monday, September 22, 2008

On Courtship

More and more, I am realizing that our children are growing up. The way in which they stepped to the plate during this past week only added more evidence to this fact. Since their birth I have prayed that they might grow to become godly adults, establish homes in the Lord Jesus Christ, and raise yet another generation of this family to serve Him. I have prayed that God would cause them to be godly spouses and parents. Although yet unknown to me, I have also been praying for our future children-in-law in the same manner. Since the time our children have been very, very young, we have always been very open with them in our discussions of this matter.

Our older daughter is now 17 and our son is 15. This past summer they were required to read Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris. They are also required to read I Kissed Dating Goodbye by the same author as soon as we obtain a copy. I'm afraid they are reading them out of order, but I don't think this will be a problem. These books address "courting", an alternative to the modern idea of recreational dating. In my opinion, not only an alternative, but romance with a purpose.

Let me quote the fly leaf of the book.

"If you're fed up with the self-centered relationships that end in disillusionment, it's time to rethink romance. Finding the loving, committed relationship you want shouldn't mean throwing away your hopes, your integrity, or your heart. . . As old fashioned as it might sound, courtship is what modern-day relationships desperately need. Think of it as romance chaperoned by wisdom, cared for by community, and directed by God's Word."

I was thrilled and encouraged as I read Tracy's recent post on the subject at Unless the Lord. If you are unfamiliar with the concept of courting, here is your opportunity to get a close up look. It will be well worth your time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails