Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Tick of the Clock - Update I

It's late and we just returned from the hospital. So this will be just a brief explanation of happenings of today. Above everything else the kids wanted to see their "Daddy Boy". So I took them to visit him this evening. You can tell by the smiles on their faces that they were relieved when they could see him for themselves. They were glad to see that their dad had not lost his sence of humor even though he was very drowsy from the effects of the pain medication.

Yesterday before surgery, the surgeon seemed to imply that Bill would stay overnight in the hospital, receive some instruction in ambulating this morning at Physical Therapy, and then be discharged later today. However, this morning the nurses seemed to think that this would be highly unlikely due to the extent of the damage and repairs which took place. Today, after talking to the surgeon, Bill thinks that Friday would be the VERY EARLIEST that he would be discharged.

This morning before lunch he had approximately and hour and a half of therapy. This actually involved some weight bearing on his injured leg. After lunch, he slept between visitors.

Here at home, the phone rang incessantly. For the most part, sandwiched between their school work, the kids answered the phone and gave updates in order that I could get a little rest before going back to the hospital. This may not have been their most productive day of homeschool, although they did try to stick to their schedule. But this was true life experience -- something you cannot learn from textbooks.

When I got home this evening, I checked e-mail and thought that I would look over blogdom and relax for a few minutes before heading to bed. When I saw your kind concerns, that you were praying for our family, and encouraging me in the Word, I just felt that I wanted to thank you sooooooo much.

To answer the question of how this happened: Someone had left a tarp on the floor. Because Bill's hands were full, he brushed it to the side with his foot to clear his pathway until he could empty his hands and move the tarp. Somehow in the process of the this, he slipped and twisted his knee. The damage was done before he ever hit the floor. I praise the Lord that further injury did not result from the actual fall.

Well, I said I was going to keep this brief, and you can see that didn't happen. Now, you know my secret -- I was vaccinated with a victrola needle. But to be serious I want to thank you for your prayers and encouragement. They mean more than you can know. Our God is a good God who never gives us more than we can bear and always brings good out of what might seem to be a dark Providence. It is a blessing for me to rest in that. I will let you know more as the week progresses.


Tracy said...

I do pray that Bill heals quickly, and is able to get back home soon; you never rest as well as in your own bed.

Sounds like your children did a wonderful job assisting their mom when she really needed it!

Connie said...

Praying for healing and calm assurance in our Lord.

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace (Who imparts all blessing and favor), Who has called you to His (own) eternal glory in Christ Jesus, will Himself complete and make you what you ought to be, establish and ground you securely, and strengthen and settle you. 1 Peter 5:10

Nanci said...


Isn't that a precious verse? In the midst of the temporal we so easily lose sight of the eternal. Thank you for this encouragement.

Related Posts with Thumbnails